Monday, January 17, 2011

First reading assignment

For this week I read the articles from these websites:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1110/ab1110-1.html - The Traditional Rules of Composition, Part One. http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1210/ab1210-1.html The Traditional Rules of Composition, Part Two.

After reading these four articles from Alan Briot I've got more knowledge about the basics about composition and the meaning of snapshots. As he says in the first article, it's important to learn the rules of composition first, to then be able to "brake the rules" in the right way. I have no prior knowledge of the 18 rules of composition used in photography but I believe I have a basic understanding of how use these rules to improve my skills as a photographer. In past photos I have tried to layer the composition of my photos to make them more aestethicly pleasing. So the viewer has to look at each layer to appreciate the photo. With my new found knowledge I plan to use it to improve my skills and to make my photos more appealing.

I have never heard the term snapshot before, it might be because I am from Sweden or the fact that I have never taken a formal class in photography. Before reading the article I used google translate to see what the word in swedish is; Ögonblicksbild. Which then I could figure out what it's about. The swedish translation means almost "picture of the moment" or easily momentpicture.. haha. I would say that a snapshot would be taking a picture just for the sake of taking a picture, it not capturing the true nature of the person, place or thing the photographer is photographing. Just caputering the moment. I would not think that it would be that many "rules" as in his article. A snapshot is a photo without meaning, a photo that does not render a emtional response from the view which in tern makes it undisirable. Before reading this article I felt that I was taking photographs but now it feels most of the photographs have actually been snapshots. But some of the rules between snapshots and photographs seem silly, for example using jpegs instead of prints doesnt mean that its not a great photo.

Arts should have no limits...
While I was reading the article from website number three above "Fine Art Compositions: Top 15" and especially number 14 "The "right" color balance is the strongest way of seeing color" I raised my eyebrows.. haha. Below that headline it says that "there is no such a thing as the "right" color balance in fine art", and I totally agree, I also think that there is no such a thing as right or wrong in any subject of photography. It's a good thing to know every "rule" and "guideline" and then be able to work after that, but the best pictures might be the craziest ones. What pleases one person may not please another, that's the nature of being an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment