Monday, January 24, 2011

Sport photography

Since we're going to take sport photos this week I searched on google to find any tips for indoor sport photography and espacially basketball. 


              I found one article about Indoor Sports Photography which I think was good. There was six short tips to consider while photographing sports indoor. It gives tips on settings for the camera, for example raising the ISO on the camera when the light isn't great. That allows you to shoot at a higher shutter speed, and it's easier to get better shots. Another thing it said was "look for expressions" - sport photographing is all about watching, waiting and trying to capture the most expressfull emotions of the game. 


             I also looked for some great basketball photos and found the website of Walter Iooss. I really liked his game pictures, they really shows emotions and the intense of the game. What I noticed with his basketball pictures is that most of the pictures is taken from a lower standpoint, which makes the players look even taller and "greater". Even the ceiling in the picture makes the whole building looks bigger. The picture that I liked the most is this one:


Walter Iooss, Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia, 1967


                  This photo is also on Walter's website but in black and white, which I think adds more character to that picture.

                 After reading that article by Christina M Dickson and watching Iooss's basketball picture I've got some idea for my photo assignment.



No comments:

Post a Comment