Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tips from the videos

For todays assignment I watched some videos from this websites:


http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/specials/photography-specials/photo-tips/capturing-movement-dslr-hd-video-tips.html?source=email_photo


- Shoot JPEG or RAW?
- Candid shots
- Birthday photos


           One of the video that interested me was "Shoot JPEG or RAW". I wanted to watch that one to really understand the meaning of RAW. I have always used JPEG for all my picture which may not have been the smartest thing. To use the RAW function for your photos make them "last longer". With that I mean, If the pictures that re original in RAW-format is going to stay as the original picture much longer if you for example makes copies of it of upload it on the internet. One time, long ago I took one setting of photos in RAW, but, kinda didn't know how to be able to use those picture.. So there's a challenge.. :)


          The second video I chosed was "Candid shots". Which is photos you're taking when real things actually happens, instead of organised group photos. I usually like to find differents angels in different situation but I find it hard to make the photos as realistic as possible. By that I mean, capturing the real smiles instead of the fake smiles that is put on someones face when they know that there is a camera around them. In this video the photographer showed how to find new angeles and composition while taking picture of kids that are playing around. I think that as a photographer you should also participate in the game or what ever is going on. For example, he could have got up in the swing and taken photos of the child pushing the swing.
 
         The last video I want to talk about is "Birthday Photos". Since I'm not a big fan of the flash, I wanted to see what he had to say about it. Simply, if their's a party with candles, don't use your flash (if you don't have a super expensive one, haha...) beacuse that would take away the feeling in the picture. The most interesting about that video though is when he in the end says "Somethimes when you use your brain, to overide the cameras brain, you end up with smarter results". That is something we should think of all the time, do not rely on the auto function, explore your camera and be smarter than it is and your result could be really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment